Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Purpose Driven Life

{}


Today is the first day of Lent. While I do not attend church, I find the period to be really interesting and I like the basis of it and according to the article, it really varies from person to person anyway.

Last year for Lent, I abstained from Facebook for 40 days. The small test was further increased by my friend who posted on my wall for 40 days - needless to say, the joy of lent was shared by everyone who made their way to the news feed.

I think for the most part, that was a pretty decent Lent practice! I was a little behind in the socializing news, but that's okay because I really need to stop obsessing over other people's lives, and I finished a lot more homework. I could do it again this year, but thanks to my New Year's Resolution (which I am still going strong at) I am consistently ahead in the world of homework.

This year, I want to go on a more 40 day religious journey. Not to be religious per say, but just to have an excuse to have time for it. Almost like meditation with a computer - I'll try and blog every day.

On the whole idea of Lent:
To me, Lent prepares you for Easter. While giving up something silly like junk food or social networking, it still is the symbolism. You're consciously aware of your religion, even in this superficial manner, for 40 days. For 40 days, you have to explain to others why and what you're doing and it allows you to count down the days until Easter. By cleansing oneself, perhaps through fasting, it is a symbol of what the goal is to be - free of sin. Perhaps, a reminder to confess and repent.

While some may disagree with me 100 percent, this is the gist I have right now. Like I said, I don't go to church and I certainly don't have a degree in religious or Christian studies, I would like to make this very clear now.

My understanding of Christianity, though very limited, is that everything is done to further one's relationship with God and Jesus Christ. While not required or viewed as an appropriate religious practice by some groups of Christians, my personal opinion is that Lent is a form of making that relationship a little deeper.

My relationship with God is really poor I would say because well, I don't know how often I believe in him but I really think my case is unique. Which is true for everyone: Everyone's relationship with God and Jesus Christ is unique.

I just think religion is incredibly beautiful. Perhaps that is a little to Elizabeth Gilbert of me.

I promised my grandfather I would do this a long time ago so, here we go:
The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

I will be contemplating religion with this book and everything else for the next 40 days.

That is going to be my Lent 2011. I think blogging is the best way to do it because that is who I am. It is what works for me.

1 comment:

  1. hi anne,
    i read through your lenten musings and it inspired me to post a blog entry of my own... this is what i think lent means. it's hard to put all of it into words, but maybe it will help you out :)

    http://fluffyland.com/blog/index.php/2011/on-lent/

    ReplyDelete