Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 1 It All Starts With God

{}


While, I have heard it often, I don't exactly know what it means. I think it is because I am too ignorant so correct me if I am wrong (or explain it): Religion, Christianity specifically, is a way to understand that the world does not center around you. It isn't about you. It's about serving a higher purpose.

A couple years ago I was talking to a good friend of mine about religion and was trying to understand. I was citing science experiments and he was citing the bible. I was getting frustrated because lets say I believed in God and was one of his strongest believers - I think that citing the bible would be the weakest argument one could use with a 'nonbeliever'. You are essentially trying to convince them with a source they do not believe to be reputable.

While this discussion ensued, I kept trying to explain this to him, and by doing so I used many 'I' statements.

I don't find the bible to be a valid source.
Why are you saying that.
How did you come to that conclusion.
How can I think like that.

He on the other hand made statements that were broader in context.

Christians believe in the bible.
The Church came to this conclusion.
Gods wants his people to be saved.

It was quickly pointed out to me that I couldn't understand religion until I could understand that it wasn't about myself.

I was confused.

To me, religion is a very personal journey and thus, very much so worthy of statements concerned about myself.

I do not think I can get over this but I think I understand the basic structure of what he and many others were trying to tell me.

It's about the community.

Which is true.

The community and others always comes first.

Often times, I find it rather amusing that the two service groups I am a part of, National Honor Society and Kiwanis Key Club, make reference to serving God and country. I might have to double check about NHS but this is the Key Club motto:

I pledge on my honor to uphold the objects of Key Club International;
to build my home, school, and community;
to serve my nation and God and to combat all forces
which tend to undermine these institutions.

So, I currently believe that 'I' is very much a part of religion but here's the thing, once you start sacrificing, you can build your community.

He may have a plan but He also gave us free will. This I am sure of.

No comments:

Post a Comment